~day JulY3,1887

           Yesterday was the most eventful day on the voyage. After Fastnet Rock the next lighthouse was GaIly light, then Kenmare light and the lightship and we were at Queenstown. From Kenmare light signals were exchanged and the telegraph set in motion
 to send us down a tender to take off 'passengers and baggage.
 It was somewhere near 11 o'clock when the tender arrived and steam was let off in order to stand still to ship the baggage.
No anchor was cast, but simply a let off of steam. Eight of
the intermediates and ten saloon passengers left us with quite
a number of steerage. Mr. Graine, Cavarly, Matoon and son, Reverend Drum and his two ladies and three other ladies out
of the saloon, misses Beere, Coffey and Sullivan and sister, together with Garrity, Foster and Downing and others of the
. There was great hurrahing and cheering as the tender cut loose and we went on our way. It was after midnight and no passenger on board had turned in for the night. However we were soon in our bunks and were up this morning again as
early as usual.

           During the latter part of the night we passed two steamers going westward. The Servia of this line and the Alaska of some other line. The morning is bright and sunny, but since striking Ireland fog is in plenty. We are in an entirely different climate. Everyone is on deck looking out for land if it can
be seen. At 2:45 p.m., Holy-head was sighted and about half
an hour later, we were all out admiring it's bold rocks, splendid lighthouse and it's wild lonesome situation. This was the first of the Welsh coast and it is known for it's rugged cliffs.
As we glide into Liverpool the Welsh coast is much to be admired. Every person having an eye for the beauties of nature are expatriating on weird wild coast now before us.

          We ____ _____  Liverpool and landed about 9 o'clock corning in with the Isle of Man steamer, "Lancashire Witch". It was an hour later we passed the Custom House, and somewhere about 10:30 p.m., 8 or 10 of us landed at Hurst's Temperance Hotel, Hood st. and st. Johns Lane. We retired quite late.

Monday July 4, 1882

          Was rather late rising and the first thing that caught my attention was the display of American ____ being
Independence Day. I walked some and then went to the wharf



Page 11    Up       Page 13